Grilled Lime and Sriracha Chicken Skewers
Looking for a unique tailgating recipe that is low in fat yet tastes great? We recommend Grilled Lime and Sriracha Chicken Skewers before the big game, courtesy of Once Upon a Chef. While there is nothing wrong with a good ol’ fashion hamburger, these skewers are perfect for the health conscience or just those wanting something different.
The ingredients are as follows:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, from one lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-1/2 square inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (between 8-10), trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus a few whole sprigs for garnish
- Limes, sliced into wedges, for garnishing platter (optional)
Easy to follow directions:
1. In a blender, combine the soy sauce, honey, oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, ginger, Sriracha and salt. Blend until completely smooth. Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade into a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve as this will be your sauce.
2. Combine the chicken and remaining marinade in a large Ziplock bag and seal tightly. Place in a bowl in case of leakage and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
3. Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers, folding the pieces in half if they are long and thin.
4. Be sure the grill is clean, then preheat to medium-high heat. To grease the grill, lightly dip a wad of paper towels in vegetable oil and, using tongs, carefully rub over the grates several times until glossy and coated. Grill the chicken kebabs, covered, until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. (Keep an eye on it — if they are browning too quickly, turn the heat down.)
5. Transfer the skewers to a platter. Warm up the reserved marinade in the microwave and either drizzle it over top or pass it alongside. Scatter the chopped cilantro over top and garnish the platter with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs, if desired.